London 2012’s official Games-time Volunteer Programme will launch this summer.
Volunteering at the London 2012 Games will be a truly memorable, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for members of the Volleyball community.
The London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) will recruit volunteers from across the UK – from a range of communities and backgrounds. The selection process will be transparent, open and fair.
Should you be selected as a Games delivery volunteer, you will be at the heart of the Games, representing the UK and delivering services that are essential for a successful and inspirational event. You will have the opportunity to use and develop your skills and play a key role in one of the largest and most unforgettable events ever to be held in the UK.
Volunteers will be needed to help put on a truly memorable Olympic and Paralympic Games. There will be two kinds of Games delivery volunteer – specialist and generalist:
Specialist volunteers will have specific existing skills or qualifications that are needed for them to complete the role – for example, sport or medical training.
Generalist volunteers will not need any special skills or qualifications and will receive all the necessary training. They might be given roles in areas such as spectator services, Olympic and Paralympic Village operations or uniform distribution.
Specialist volleyball volunteer roles can be found by clicking here
LOCOG aims to recruit volunteers who will bring passion, enthusiasm and energy to the Games, and who meet the following key criteria:
- 18 years old by 1 January 2012
- Available to volunteer for a minimum of 10 days at either, or both, of the Games
- Eligible to volunteer in the UK according to UK immigration laws
- Able to attend a minimum of three training sessions prior to the Games
- Agree to, and pass, certain security and background checks
- Applicants for specialist sport volunteer roles must additionally be available for the Test Event in their chosen sport
Dates and Venues
Volleyball volunteers at the Olympic and Paralympic Games will be based at Earls Court (Volleyball), Horse Guards Parade (Beach) and Excel (Sitting). Volunteers will be expected to be available for the Olympic and/or the Paralympic Games as well as one or both of the Test Events. The Test Events will be as follows: Volleyball 20-24 July 2011 and Beach Volleyball 9 – 14 August 2011.
- The main benefit of volunteering is the chance to play an integral role in one of the most exciting events ever seen in the UK
- The Games will provide a unique and inspirational setting for volunteers to gain experience and develop their skills
- London 2012 will provide volunteers with free meals during their shifts
- Each volunteer will be given an official uniform to wear and will have the opportunity to keep their uniform as a souvenir of their experience and contribution to the Games
- Volunteer travel arrangements are still being planned. Details of these will follow shortly
- Accommodation will not be provided
How to apply
Scottish Volleyball is assisting LOCOG with its recruitment by asking members who are interested in applying for the specialist volleyball roles, and who meet the above criteria, to register their interest with us now by completing the indication of interest form available here by the end of July 2010.
Every applicant will be expected to go through the full LOCOG recruitment process, which will include completing an application form when they become available and attending selection and training events