Dundee University Volleyball Club had their excellent work recognised this week when they were named “Club of the Year” at the annual Dundee Sports Awards. The student club, with 92 members covering an incredible 28 different nationalities, had previously been on the shortlist for this prestigious award, but this year their impressive achievements saw the judging panel acknowledge the university club as the top sports club in the city.
The students saw off tough competition in the ceremony to cap a memorable year which has seen them lift a number of titles and awards. The club’s submission saw them list the following activity in support of their application:
- The men’s team completed a Scottish Universities League and Cup double, without losing a match
- The women’s team won the British Universities Trophy.
- 6 men and 3 women were selected for the Scottish Universities Select team.
- Club membership rose to 92 with 6 teams being put out on a weekly basis.
- DUVC proactively promotes its matches with attendance often over 40 spectators and up to 90.
- Over £1000 was raised through various fundraising initiatives to support the club’s volunteer programme, enabling 7 members to qualify as Grade 4 referees.
- DUVC also supports local junior development and 5 members have gained their UKCC coaching qualification to deliver weekly volleyball coaching sessions to local schoolchildren
This impressive list of activity is achieved by young people whose primary focus is to achieve a degree qualification. The award recognised that DUVC is a well organised, progressive and dynamic club, which demonstrates impressive commitment to individual and collective development.
The club’s structures and development is a credit to the hard work of the many committee members and volunteers who are committed to its future. DUVC is to be congratulated on flying the flag for volleyball!