What is UKAD?
UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) is the National Anti-Doping Organisation in the UK and is responsible for ensuring that sports bodies in the UK are compliant with the World Anti-Doping Code.
What you need to know
- Athletes are responsible for their actions: including what they eat and drink. This is known as the principle of ‘strict liability’
- Athletes can be tested at any time, any place
- It’s important to always check any medication you take via the WADA Prohibited List and Global DRO first.
What that means for you
Failing to abide by the values of clean sport or the Anti-Doping Rules could mean severe consequences for your sporting future or career.
Athletes have a responsibility to make sure that anything they eat or drink is free of any banned substances. Developing good clean sport habits will help athletes in the future.
You need to fully understand the Anti-Doping Rules, the consequences of not behaving in line with these rules, and the values of clean sport.
What athletes should do
Tell – medical personnel, like your doctor, your coach and any other support personnel who work with you, that as an athlete you must operate in line with the Anti-Doping Rules.
Check – all medication should be checked to see if it contains any banned substances
Ask – if you are unsure about any anti-doping matter then ‘ask‘. You can keep yourself up to date with the latest news and alerts from UKAD so you are not at risk.
Adopt – a ‘Food First‘ approach.
Where to go for further advice
- Download the 100% me Clean Sport App
- Check out the Introduction to Clean Sport programme in UKAD’s Clean Sport Hub
- Take a look at the risks of supplements in the UKAD Supplement Hub
- Find more in checking medications and applying for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) in the UKAD Medicine Hub
- More information on the testing procedures can be found in the Introduction to Testing
How to get your UKAD Clean Sport Education Certificates
The Clean Sport Hub will support the delivery of innovative and tailored education activities leading to a culture of clean sport. Click the link below to see how you can attain your UKAD approved anti-doping education.